You can sew this for yourself or another mother [no, not the other mother] you love! In every household lives at least two to three scissors, each for a different purpose. Scissors come in so many different sizes and shapes, so these instructions are designed to tailor-make it for any scissors. Although the making of the cover is the ordinary part of the project, the design is what makes each one unique, and there are many possibilities. Here’s how you make one with some wool felt and embroidery floss:
Wool Felt: A piece of thick [5mm] felt the size of your scissors, blue, and yellow felt, and assorted colors for decoration.
1) Lay your scissors on a piece of paper and draw a line, leaving ½” of space all around.
2) Using your pattern, cut two pieces of felt, one out of extra thick felt [5mm] for the back which can be of a contrasting color, and the other out of felt with regular thickness. We used thick felt in the back and regular thickness of blue felt in the front.
3) Trace this same pattern on a piece of yellow felt for the pocket, so you can decorate and stitch your flowers before cutting the felt.
4) Now trace and cut two blue bells out of the blue felt, five circles out of pink felt, one red flower and one small yellow circle for the middle, as well as two thin leaves out of green felt, as shown.
5) Draw your pattern with a light green color on the yellow felt. Glue all the flower pieces in place and the two green leaves on the yellow felt as shown in photo. With pink thread stitch a French knot in the middle of each of the 5 pink circles. With green thread stitch stems for your flowers, using the Stem Stitch, and some leaves as shown in photo.
6) Once you finish decorating the pocket, cut a piece off the top of the pattern depending on how much of the scissors handles you want exposed.
7) Using the decorated pocket as pattern, cut an identical piece of yellow felt to use as pocket lining.
8) With double red thread, Blanket-Stitch the two yellow pocket pieces, attaching them together at the top edge.
9) Place the yellow pocket on top of the two blue pieces used for backing, matching edges and pin in place. Blanket-stitch around the whole outside edge, through all four layers of the yellow and blue, and around the two blue layers at the top.
10) Your scissors cover is ready!
Red, green, and pink.
Now you have your pattern.
For all you felt lovers who like to hand-sew, we have two beautiful books to giveaway today. One of them is the American classic, Felt Wee Folk by Salley Mavor and the other is Fanciful Felties by Samantha Cotterill. To enter drawing please leave a comment here by Saturday, March 26th 8 p.m. ET and the winner will be announced Monday, 28th.
And the winner is…